Saturday, February 14, 2009

My stay so far in Mexico has been pretty cushy but there are a few things I have been noticing that I regularly take for granted back home...

1. Clean tap water- after about the 15th time I left my water bottle in my room to go to brush my teeth I started to get very annoyed about about this.

2. Thing generally working - So far our internet has been in and out everyday. Those who talk regularly with me on skype can attest to how frustrating this is. Our student phone hasn´t worked, the VCR and DVD, the hot water ( I had my first hot shower three days ago) and something else I am forgeting at the moment.

3. To go along with the last one... access to things you need - The closest town were we can get access an ATM or bank is an hour away. For other more specialty things (such as the cable to fix our VCR) the professors have to drive 4 hours to La Paz.

4. Recycling- Our school has been working hard to start a recycling program in town but still there are no recycling containers in town. I can talk about this more later. Today I am going with 4 other students to work at the recycling center.

Things we could learn from Mexico...Relax there is no reason to hurry. You can especially appreciate this at a local resturant los arcos (great margaritas but don´t expect to quick service at the other resturant I like we have just taken to grabing the cervesa from the frig rather than wait) Also be friendly. Everyone here says hi ....and if you talk more than a few mins you will probably get a hug and a kiss on the cheek... However the men are a little too friendly.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are posting and I love hearing the differences between there and here. We are always thinking about how awesome it is that you're in mexico and i'm so happy i can semi-live it through your blogging!! <3 Funny that you messaged me while i was looking for the link for ur blog... i didn't realize you had messaged me but i had been at the computer the whole time. I miss you so much! i love seeing that you're having an awesome time. take care i miss you and keep writing <333

    ReplyDelete