Friday, February 6, 2009

Tomorrow I am student of the day...which means several things.. mostly that I lead morning RAP (Reflections-inspirational quotes, poems, thoughtful questions, etc, Announcements-this is opened to anyone who needs to say anything, and Physicality- a game, team building exercise, or some kind of physical activity) So I figured I would share my quote with everyone...

"Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets, but humbler folk may circumvent this restriction if they know how. To plant a pine, for example, one need be neither god nor poet; one need only own a good shovel. By virtue of this curious loophole in the rules, any clodhopper may say: Let there be a tree—and there will be one. If his back be strong and his shovel sharp, there may eventually be ten thousand."


Leopold, Aldo: A Sand County Almanac, and Sketches Here and There, 1948, Oxford University Press, New York, 1987, pg. 81

1 comment:

  1. Cool quote! Sure that you know Aldo Leopold went to the Lawrenceville Prep School. I didn't plant a tree today but I did plant sage, thyme, parsley, savory, dill and arugala. Ten thousand smiles ...

    ReplyDelete